FAQ - Rates, Billing and Metering FAQs
You have three easy options:
- Access My DC Water, your online account service.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org -- Be sure to include your full name, phone number, and service address.
- Call Customer Service at 202-354-3600-- You may use our automated system or speak to a Customer Care Associate. Our Associates are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
You may pay by credit card, personal check, money order or cash.
- The credit card payments may be made via My DC Water, telephone, Global Express payment centers, walk-in or mail-in
- Personal checks are accepted through mail, telephone and online.
- Cash is accepted via walk-in only at authorized Global Express payment centers.
Yes! DC Water has Budget Billing, a program that evenly spreads the cost of your water and sewer bills over the entire year. Your average monthly payment is based on historical water/sewer usage. For more information call 202-354-3600 to speak with a Customer Care Associate.
Once you sign up for electronic bill delivery, you will no longer receive a paper bill, but rather an email notice alerting you that your bill is available online. To view your bill, simply log into My DC Water.
There are several ways to check on your payment:
Please call Customer Service at 202-354-3600 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm and a Customer Care Associate will let you know the amount that is owed. Once payment has been received, and you speak with a Customer Care Associate to verify payment and request reconnection, your services will be restored within 24 hours.
Please call the Drinking Water Division at 202-612-3440.
You must submit a copy of the final, signed settlement statement with your full name, telephone number, service address, the date of settlement, and your current mailing address.
You may contact us by emailing email@example.com or sending a fax to Customer Service 202-354-3711. We do not accept requests from tenants to discontinue service.
Please fax a copy of your settlement statement to Customer Service at 02-354-3711, or mail it to:
District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority Customer Service Department
5000 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20032
We only process final bills when there is a change in ownership. The water service will remain on provided the account is in good standing.
You may challenge it by following the Bill Dispute Procedure. If you choose not to pay the disputed bill, you must challenge it within 10 days of receipt of the bill. If you pay the disputed bill, you must challenge it before receiving your next bill. Please do not include a letter with your bill and payment.
If you are registered with My DC Water, you can review your water usage history online to see if you use more water at certain times.
One of the following may be a reason:
- Leaking water faucets
- Guests in your home
- Remodeling or adding more living space
- A new baby (more laundry means more water usage)
- Extra use of the washing machine, dishwasher, or power washer
- Extra entertaining or cooking
- Washing cars
Your bill may have been calculated on the basis of an estimated meter reading that was higher than your actual usage. If so, you'll likely notice a lower charge on your next bill.
If your last bill was an estimated meter reading, it could have been lower than your actual usage, which means that you're now seeing the additional cost on your current bill.
Check the number of days in this bill's billing period. Sometimes a billing period might cover 32 days, whereas other periods cover only 27 days.
Review your bill for additional charges that could include the following:
- 10% additional charge if a bill is not paid by the due date
- 1% interest, compounded monthly, for any charges that have been outstanding for 60 days or more
- A $25 fee if your check is not honored by your bank
- A $50 fee when water service is cut off for non-payment
- A $50 fee to restore water service
- A $245 fee if water service is turned on without authorization
If you still have questions about why your bill is higher than normal, please contact a Customer Care Associate by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 202-354-3600, Monday — Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please be sure to have your account number handy.
You may be eligible for an extension of payment terms. Please call Customer Service 202-354-3600 and speak with a Customer Care Associate.
Call the Customer Service 202-354-3600 and speak with a Customer Care Associate.
Yes! DC Water offers the following programs:
- Customer Assistance Program (CAP)
Administered by the District of Columbia's Department of Energy and Environment. CAP provides eligible customers with a discount of up to 400 cubic feet of water per month, a current savings of up to $40.38. For more information, contact the District of Columbia Department of Energy and Environment at 202-673-6750.
- Extended payment plans for eligible customers
Please call 202-354-3600 to speak with a Customer Care Associate.
- Serving People by Lending A Supporting Hand (SPLASH)
SPLASH is a DC Water program that helps customers maintain critical water and sewer service in times of financial emergencies. SPLASH is funded solely by contributions from our customers and the community, and every dollar we receive is distributed to eligible customers. Please call 202-354-3600 for more information
You'll save time when you use this easy online tool to do the following:
- Obtain your account information 24 hours a day
- Update your account information
- Set up automatic bill payments, choosing from several payment options
- Review your water usage history
- Create and view several accounts from one convenient space
- Submit service requests
You’ll also reduce paper waste and protect the environment!
You can sign up for electronic bill delivery by accessing My DC Water and completing a few easy steps. It only takes a few minutes to enroll.