Low Service Water Main Inspection and Repair Project
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water will be performing water main inspection and repair projects throughout the city to prolong the service life of the water transmission system. This project involves the inspection, minor repair, protection and restoration of the Low Service Water Main along 8th Street, NE which extends from N Street, NE on 3rd Street NE, to 8th Street, NE and East Capitol Street, NE.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Detailed design of the entry inspection and minor repairs of approximately 8,000 linear feet of the 66-inch steel water main.
- Construction of nine access points to allow internal inspection and repair of the pipeline without excavating the entire pipeline for internal inspection.
- Cathodic protection measures will also be added within the excavations for the new manholes to protect the pipe from further deterioration.
- A larger 66-inch butterfly valve will be installed which will require removing roughly 40 feet of the existing pipe and replacing the pipe with new fittings and the valve at 8th Street & E. Capitol Street, NE. The pipe will be drained and cleaned as part of the manned inspection and repair of the pipeline.
- Construction Start & Completion Dates:
Phase 1 - January 2019 to May 2019
Phase 2 – September 2019 to January 2020
- Normal Work Hours: 7am to 5pm; 7am to 7pm; 9am to 4pm; and 10am to 3pm; Monday through Friday or Monday through Saturday (times and days vary by location). Dependent upon permit approval contractors may work during the evening or on weekends due to certain rehabilitation activities, or inclement weather delays.
- DC Water will work to ensure disruptions are minimized during construction operations and will restore all work sites to their original condition.
- The design and inspection technology is being determined to incorporate the least amount of impacts to the surface operations.
- Some water services may be temporarily interrupted during the operation of valves for shut down areas; 48 hour advanced notice will be provided.
- Traffic control, including signage and protective barriers, will be set up to maintain public safety during construction.
- The southbound lane of 8th Street, NE near East Capitol Street will be partially closed October 2019 through the end of construction.
- Additional lane closures may be required with approval by the District Department of Transportation
DC Water will coordinate with the various Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, Business Improvement Districts, stakeholders, residents, and with District and federal agencies to minimize disruption during this project.