SMALL DIAMETER WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT PROJECT HILLCREST-ANC 7B
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water is replacing existing 12-inch and smaller cast iron water mains in various locations throughout the city. Construction for this project will occur in the Hillcrest neighborhood (see construction location map on back). These efforts will help improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system.
Scope of Work
- Installation of approximately 5,792 linear feet of 3-inch up to 12-inch water mains
- Replacement of service lines (lead and/or other), as needed
- Replacement of fire hydrants and valves
- Permanent pavement and surface restoration
- Construction start: June 2020
- Estimated construction completion: December 2020
- Normal work hours: 7:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday through Friday
- Contractor may work at night or on weekends, dependent upon certain construction activities or inclement weather
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. Service interruptions will be minimal.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-hr Emergency/Command Center.
- Flagging operations will be used daily for each construction phase to maintain traffic in the construction work zone.
- Lane closures may be required daily with approved traffic plans by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No Parking” signs may need to be placed in certain areas in and around the work zone. Notifications regarding “No Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal traffic disruptions during construction. Regular updates will also be provided to affected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions.