Water Main Cleaning, Lining and Replacement Project - North Cleveland Park
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water is replacing existing 12-inch and smaller cast iron water mains in various locations throughout the city. These efforts will help improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system. Work will occur on or near Springland Lane, Tilden Street, Rodman Street, Reno Road, and Idaho Avenue, NW.
Scope of work
- Pre-construction activities will include (1) replacement of valves where needed; (2) layout of temporary water service piping; (3) utility markings; and (4) preconstruction site survey.
- Cleaning and lining of approximately 1,550 linear feet of 8-inch water mains
- Installation of approximately 500 linear feet of new 8-inch and 6-inch water mains throughout the project area.
- Upon completion of construction, chlorination of water mains, water sample testing, internal pipe inspections, reconnection and recharging of mains, and site restoration will take place.
- Construction start: August 2017
- Construction completion: Completed August 2018
- Normal work hours: 10 am – 3 pm, Monday through Friday
- Contractor may work at night or on weekends, dependent upon additional construction activities or due to inclement weather.
- The removal and pruning of public space trees may be necessary and will be minimized wherever possible.
- During this construction project, there will be installation of temporary bypass piping for some affected homes in the area. Specifically, as portions of water mains are systematically taken out of service, homes served by these mains will be temporarily connected to an above ground pipe in order to maintain water services throughout the work.
- Temporary bypass piping will be covered with asphalt and temporary ramping. Please use extra] caution when walking, driving, biking, or running in the construction project area and over any temporary piping structures.
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. Service interruptions will be minimal.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-hr Emergency/Command Center.
- Flagging will be used daily to maintain traffic. Lane closures may be required with approved traffic plans by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- Notifications regarding “No-Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, in certain areas in and around the job site as required by DDOT.