WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT AND UPGRADE PROJECT 18TH STREET NW & VARNUM STREET NW
As part of its Capital Improvement Program, DC Water is performing replacement and upgrade of existing water mains through the city. These efforts will help improve water quality and system reliability, increase water pressure in some areas, and maintain adequate flows throughout the system. Work for this project will occur at two locations: 18th Street NW from Varnum Street NW to Upshur Street NW; and on Varnum Street NW from Argyle Terrace NW to 18th Street NW (see construction location map on back).
Scope of Work
The project will be performed in the following phases:
- Phase I – Installation of approximately 750 linear feet of 8-inch water mains
- Phase II – Replacement of service lines – including free private side replacement of lead and galvanized iron pipe
- Phase III – Replacement of fire hydrants and valves
- Phase IV – Complete surface restoration
Schedule (permit dependent)
- Construction start: Mid-June 2021 (tentative)
- Construction completion: October 2021 (tentative)
- Normal work hours: 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday through Friday (tentative)
- The Contractor may work at night or on weekends, dependent upon certain construction activities or inclement weather.
- The removal and pruning of public space trees may be necessary and will be minimized wherever possible.
- If a temporary water service shut-off is necessary at any point during the project, affected residents will be notified 48 hours in advance. All scheduled service interruptions will be minimal.
- Construction may cause temporary discolored water or low water pressure. If you experience discolored water, flush cold water taps for 15 minutes. If water does not clear, contact the DC Water Drinking Water Division or 24-hr Emergency/Command Center.
- Flagging operations may be used during each construction phase to maintain traffic in the construction work zone. All Traffic Control Plans will be approved by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT).
- At various times during construction, “No Parking” signs may be placed in certain areas in and around the work zone. Notifications regarding “No Parking” zones will be posted 72 hours prior to construction, as required by DDOT.
DC Water is working closely with DDOT to ensure minimal traffic disruptions during construction. Regular updates will also be provided to the relevant Advisory Neighborhood Commissions, representatives in the Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services, and Council staff.