Backwater Valve Information and Rebate Program Application
Backwater valves, also known as backflow prevention devices, are installed on a sewer lateral that connects the building to the public sewer in the street. A properly working backwater valve allows flow to go in only one direction (out), preventing wastewater from entering your building during surcharges of the public sewer system or back-ups caused by storms.
DC Water has expanded its backwater valve rebate program beyond the limited combined sewer areas to now reimburse eligible residents who have documented sewer back up from both the July 1, 2012 and the September 10, 2020 storm, up to $6,000 for the purchase and installation of a backwater valve. More specifically, the expanded program offers the following:
- For those property owners in the combined sewer area who have not yet taken part in the program, and had a documented sewer back-up since 2012, the reimbursement rate continues to be 100 percent, up to $6,000.
- Those who have experienced a sewer back-up related to the September 10, 2020 storm, are now eligible for a rebate of 100 percent of the cost associated with installing a backwater valve, up to $6,000 per property.
If you wish to determine the eligibility of your property, please contact Emanuel Briggs at (202) 787-2003 and he will explain the eligibility process and required documentation in support of the application. Please do not install a backwater valve until you have received an eligibility notice.
Once you are determined eligible for the program and have installed a backwater valve, you must submit the following in order for DC Water to process your rebate:
- Rebate application form and waiver.
- Approved DCRA permit and inspection certification for installation of your backwater valve.
- DC Licensed plumber’s itemized receipt for installation.
Please note that DC Plumbing Code requires a permit for this work, which must be obtained by a DC-licensed Master Plumber (This applies to the installation of the valve itself, not to the preparation or any floor work.)