Full STEAM Ahead!
At DC Water, we offer STEM programming as well as support the arts for K-12 students across the District. See below our various offerings and how to request us. Please also see our resources for virtual events and distance learning!
Resources have been updated to accommodate Distance Learning for District Students Parents and Teachers. Please see the Distance Learing tab for more information.
We are able to offer classroom-based lessons for groups of students no larger than 50. Lessons must take place in small-group settings, the size of one, homeroom class. Please inquire about lessons using the STEAM Request form.
Field trips are limited to groups of up to 25 students.
9th - 12th grade
- Students may tour Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant (5000 Overlook Ave SW DC) on Wednesday or Thursday mornings at 10 am, with additional consideration provided for afternoon groups pending availability of resources.
- Tours last approximately 60 to 90 minutes and are guided by an engineer, utilizing the school bus on which your students arrive.
- Tours may only be requested online via our tour page.
3rd - 8th grade
- Students may tour the DC Water Headquarters Building(1385 Canal St. SE), pending staff availability.
- Tours are only on Fridays and begin at 10 am
- Tours last 90 minutes and include a STEAM story or demonstration related to one of our products or processes at the Authority.
- Please submit the STEAM Request form for tour inquiries.
A great way to engage schools with target groups of larger than 50 students. DC Water has carnival-style games and tabletop activities that may be suitable for your school event or community festival.
A great way to engage schools with target groups of larger than 50 students. DC Water has carnival-style games and tabletop activities that may be suitable for your school event or community festival. School-related events that involve the community at large (or will serve larger than 150) should utilize the general event request form.
DC Water is can provide subject matter experts to judge school-level project fairs. We are typically able to provide up to 2 (two) judges per request.
DC Water boasts a variety of professionals who love their careers in the water industry. Flyers are welcome, but requests should still be submitted with the form.
Pending the availability of our subject matter experts, we are happy to come to schools and engage groups of students (up to 30) about our work. Please contact the speakers bureau for these requests and be sure to include specifics about the subject matter you wish to learn from our experts!
Feel free to contact Torri Epperson at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit the request form or ask questions.