Customer Assistance Programs
We offer a number of financial assistance programs to help customers with their water bills. The available programs include:
- Emergency Residential Relief
- Monthly Discounts for Residential Customers
- Relief for Non-profit Organizations
- Extended Payment Plans
- SPLASH One-time Emergency Assistance
ALERT: Under the leadership of Mayor Muriel Bowser, the Council for the District of Columbia and the District Government, have authorized financial assistance to provide emergency relief to District residents struggling with unpaid DC Water bills during the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency and 105 days thereafter. Eligible households may receive bill assistance up to $2,000 as a one-time emergency benefit.
In addition to this benefit, eligible households will receive one of the following discounts:
- Customer Assistance Program (CAP) provides a discount on the first 400 cubic feet (3,000 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month. Eligible households will receive a 50 percent reduction in the monthly CRIAC fee and a Water Service Replacement Fee waiver. The monthly discount is approximately $65 a month.
- Customer Assistance Program II (CAP2) provides a discount on the first 300 cubic feet (2,250 gallons) of water and sewer services used each month (with the exception of PILOT and ROW fees) and a 50 percent reduction in the monthly CRIAC fee. The monthly discount is approximately $45 a month.
- Customer Assistance Program III (CAP3) provides a discount of 75 percent off of the monthly CRIAC. The monthly discount is approximately $15 a month.
Income Guidelines for FY20 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020)
The table below provides the dollar figures for each program’s income limits by household size:
*Figures are capped based on language from the Budget Support Act.
How do I apply for CRIAC Assistance?
There are three ways to apply:
- Online CRIAC Residential Relief Application
- Email your application and documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail your application to DOEE, Attn: CRIAC Residential Relief Program, 1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington DC 20002
What documents do I need to apply?
To apply, pictures or scans of the following documents are required:
- Recent proof of income (pay stub, Social Security statement, proof of termination or unemployment, etc.)
- Government-issued, photo identification (license, passport, etc.)
- Recent DC Water bill
- If the DC Water bill is not in a household member’s name, you must include proof of property ownership or a lease agreement indicating proof of responsibility for water charges
- Complete and signed CRIAC Residential Relief Application
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Call (202) 350-9649 or email email@example.com
The above video shows how easy it is to apply for assistance.
The CAP1 and CAP2 programs are funded by DC Water. CAP3, the Emergency Residential Relief Program, and the CRIAC Nonprofit Relief Program outlined below are funded by the District Government.
The CRIAC Nonprofit Relief Program is in place to assist eligible nonprofit organizations facing financial hardship with the payment of their Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge (CRIAC). Participants can receive credits of up to 90% of the CRIAC portion of their water bill.
DOEE determines eligibility, and non-profit organizations must meet all three criteria:
- Be a nonprofit in the District of Columbia with a real property or possessory interest tax exemption as a local charitable organization, a cemetery, a religious house-of worship; or a continuing care facility (as determined by the District’s Office of Tax and Revenue).
- Demonstrate financial hardship in paying the CRIAC. Organizations must demonstrate that their annual CRIAC is 1% or greater than their annual revenue, after expenses. Applicants must submit their IRS form 990 or provide information consistent with the filing requirements of an IRS form 990, as applicable.
- Complete a stormwater mitigation project to help diminish the harmful effects of stormwater runoff by installing green infrastructure on their property or elsewhere in the District.
For more information, and to apply, please visit CRIAC Nonprofit Relief Application or call 311
Other Bill Assistance Programs and Resources
- Extended Payment Plans - During the COVID-19 pandemic, please email Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about extended payment plan options.
- SPLASH (Serving People by Lending A Supporting Hand) - SPLASH is a DC Water program that helps customers maintain critical water and sewer service in times of financial emergencies. SPLASH is administered by the Greater Washington Urban League. For information on getting assistance fcall the GWUL offices during business hours Mon-Fri 9 AM – 5 PM at 202.265.8200.
SPLASH is funded solely by contributions from our employees, customers, and the community, and every dollar we receive is distributed to eligible customers. Visit our SPLASH online contribution form to make a donation.