Traffic Advisory: Northeast Boundary Tunnel Project Brings Left Turn Restrictions Ahead of Median Removal on Rhode Island Avenue, NE
June 20, 2019
(Washington, DC) – In preparation for median removal work on Rhode Island Avenue, NE, DC Water’s contractor will begin eliminating left turns from eastbound Rhode Island Avenue, NE onto 8th Place, NE; Reed Street, NE, and 10th Street, NE. Additionally, a left turn signal will be installed at 12th Street and Rhode Island Avenue, NE prior to the start of the median removal work. It is necessary to remove the median on Rhode Island Avenue, NE between 8th Place, NE, and Reed Street, NE to allow for lane shifts during the shaft excavation work associated with the Northeast Boundary Tunnel Project (NEBT) (dcwater.com/NEBT).
As crews prepare for the median removal work in the coming weeks, parking, and travel lane restrictions will also be put in place in support of the construction work. Work hours will be from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The median removal is expected to begin on or about June 30, 2019, and take one month to complete.
Travel and Parking Restrictions and Traffic Detour Route
Left Turn Restrictions
- Left turn restrictions from Rhode Island Avenue, NE on to 8th Place, NE, Reed Street, NE, and 10th Street, NE will be in place through spring 2022.
- A dedicated left turn signal will be installed on eastbound Rhode Island Avenue, NE at 12th Street, NE.
Travel Lane Restrictions
- The eastbound and westbound travel lanes on Rhode Island Avenue, NE will be reduced by one lane in both directions during the median removal. The westbound lane reduction occurs from east of 10th Street, NE to west of the Metro overpass.
- Parking will be restricted on the west and east sides of Rhode Island Avenue, NE as follows:
- West side of Rhode Island Avenue, NE - east of 10th Street, NE to 150 feet beyond the overpass just prior to the Forman Mills ramp.
- East side of Rhode Island Avenue, NE - between the Metro overpass and Washington Place NE.
Traffic Detour Route
- Motorists traveling eastbound on Rhode Island Avenue, NE wishing to access Reed Street, NE or 10th Street, NE, must detour at 12th Street, NE with the assistance of a new dedicated left turn signal. Drivers must continue along 12th Street, NE west to Franklin Street, NE to access 10th Street NE south towards Rhode Island Avenue NE.
For more information, please contact
24/7 NEBT Hotline: (800) 988-6151
Northeast Boundary Tunnel Project Website: dcwater.com/NEBT